Stay Alert! A simple mistake could create a cooking fire holiday disaster!
SERVPRO TIP: Bring a cooking utensil and a timer with you if you NEED to leave the kitchen while cooking.
Holiday cooking and preparations can take a few days, and entertaining guests while making a meal can be distracting. Being in the kitchen that entire time can seem impossible. While it’s never a good idea to leave the kitchen while cooking, sometimes it’s inevitable. If you must, taking a timer and a utensil may help you remember what you were doing before you got distracted. If you are cooking on the stove, frying, grilling, or broiling food, please turn off the heat source and move your food to a safer place before leaving the room. For more amazing tips from our team to help your meal, your family and your property stay safe this holiday season, look below.
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 6 out of 7 cooking fires occurred while the cook was out of the kitchen, and 2/3rds of these fires happened in the first 15 minutes of cooking. The BEST WAY you can do to keep you and your family and property safe this year, ALWAYS watch what you’re cooking. If you’re using the stovetop, stay in the kitchen and watch closely. Also, experts recommend setting a timer periodically to remind you to check the oven.
Our SERVPRO team wishes every friend, family, and neighbor a joyful, pleasant, safe and disaster free holiday season. We hope the next few weeks are full of hope, love, gifts, and yummy food. We also know the destruction that can come from a simple mistake, and we are always here should any fire, flood or plumbing damage cause a hiccup in your holiday celebrations. For big or small disasters our team is here to support your property restoration and rebuild needs with professional know-how and empathy for any situation.
Get Cleanup, Restoration, and Rebuilding in One Place
SERVPRO of Medford is uniquely qualified to offer property owners the services of mitigation, restoration, and reconstruction. Instead of having one company do the cleanup and another company repair or rebuild fire loss areas in the home, you can use a single company for both needs.
SERVPRO FIRE DAMAGE MITIGATION/RECOVERY SERVICES:
Our Commercial Fire and Water Damage Restoration Process
Our experienced SERVPRO of Medford restoration specialists are trained to clean and restore your Suffolk County property with as little disruption as possible.
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Fire & Water Damage Assessment
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
- Water Removal and Drying
- Smoke and Soot Remediation
- Cleaning, Restoration and Repairs
SERVPRO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES:
- Site Containment / Temporary Shoring
- Selective Demolition
- Full-Scale Carpentry
- Complete Exterior/Envelope Reconstruction
- Interior Build-Out and Finishes
- Complex Installation and Interior Finishes
- Historic Reconstruction and Restoration
Fire or water damage to your home is frustrating and needs to be dealt with by trained professionals to ensure further damage does not continue to impact your property down the road. The SERVPRO of Medford team has decades of experience and training to overcome the unique challenges that can come with both residential and commercial property disasters. Our IICRC certified restoration specialists work quickly and efficiently to minimize damages and displacement with fast mitigation, content management, professional containment, and post-damage construction services for a faster recovery.
Cooking Safety Tips
- Keep flammable items such as wooden spoons, potholders, towels, and paper towels clear of the stovetop. Keep flammable items such as paper packaging or plastic bags clear of cooking appliances such as toasters, toaster ovens, deep fryers, or electric skillets.
- Make sure smoke alarms are installed and working correctly before cooking.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small fires. Just slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Then simply leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled off.
- Clean the oven and stovetop regularly to remove any food debris and clean up spills immediately. Avoid loading your stove up with pots and pans, cooking too many meals at once it can increase the risk of grease fires.
- Completely cool small appliances before storing them, allow hot grease or other trash to cool before disposal.
- Keep children and pets away from cooking surfaces. If you have children in the house, consider using the back burners of the stove.
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES SERVPRO IS HERE TO HELP!
Working with our team and fast action could mean the difference between restoring your home or business quickly or needing extensive and expensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO team never stops being READY to handle your fire, water, or storm property disaster, we have the best staff, with the best resources standing ready to answer your call quickly and restore your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”