SERVPRO of Medford professionals specialize in the cleanup and restoration of your Long Island property after frozen water damage.
SERVPRO of Medford professionals specialize in the cleanup and restoration of Long Island residential or commercial property after a frozen water property damage emergency.
Winter weather and freezing temperatures can be incredibly dangerous to your home or business, frozen water, snow and ice can all lead to significant property damage disasters. On Average each year a quarter of a million homeowners will experience the destructive power of frozen water problems including, frozen pipe bursts, ice dams and other leaking water damage occurrences. A frozen pipe alone can result in gallons of water spilling over your floors, leaking or pouring through ceilings and walls, and ruining furniture and other valuable processions.
Our SERVPRO of Medford staff is highly trained and experienced in the cleanup and restoration of your frozen water property damage from frigid Northeast temperatures. Our team can respond quickly and help you assess your damage and find a restoration solution that you can trust.
TOP FROZEN WATER PROPERTY DAMAGE CONCERNS
Ice dams occur after a Long Island snowfall and several days of freezing temperatures, common weather conditions in the Northeast during Winter. Warm air inside your home leaks into the attic and warms the underside of the roof causing snow and ice to melt. The melted water refreezes on the cold overhang and can form icicles and an ice dam on the roof and gutters. This process can cause damage to the roof which can cause water to leak into the home causing water damage to the ceiling, walls, insulation and other areas.
LEAKING BASEMENTS AND FOUNDATIONS
Wet basements are a common occurrence for many homeowners on Long Island, the impact of heavy snow, ice and rain on saturated soil often leads to water leaks, flooding and other types of basement and foundation water damage. Wet basements can lead to significant structural damage, destroy furnishings and other belongings and commonly lead to elevated mold and humidity issues.
FROZEN WATER PIPES
When Northeast temperatures drop to at or below freezing, the water flowing in your plumbing has the potential to freeze. Water expands when it freezes, the expansion of the frozen water can cause a rupture, causing catastrophic flood damage. It’s important to note that the break often occurs between the frozen point and the faucet, as the ice blocks the pipe and the water pressure increases leading to stress on the pipe. Pipes that run through the exterior walls are particularly at risk, but those that run through low- or uninsulated attics and crawlspaces can also freeze.
Although, these frozen water damage situations are very common, sometimes the damage could have largely been prevented by taking a few preventative steps ahead of time. These are a few tips you can take to try and avoid turning the coming frigid days and nights into inconvenient and expensive property disasters.
HELP PREVENT FROZEN WATER ISSUES IN YOUR HOME
- Exposed pipes are the most susceptible to freezing, insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic.
- Heat tape or thermostatically controlled heat cables can be used to wrap pipes, and prevent ice dams.
- Seal air leaks in your attic, basement and exterior walls, look for air leaks around electrical wiring, vents, and pipes, and use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
- To avoid ice dams add roof and soffit vents to regulate the air temperature close to the underside of the roof.
- Sump pumps and sub-floor drainage systems are typically used to avoid the continued damage associated with basements and other foundation issues.
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Let warm water drip overnight, from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Our specialized equipment and highly trained staff has the scope of services to handle your property restoration needs from start to finish. We understand you may not have all the answers, calling our team connects you to professionals that can provide the answers to your restoration concerns and tailor a solution to repair your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”