Don’t neglect a property water damage occurrence, it can lead to excessive structural damage and microbial growth
Our team can inspect your property for mold and water damage, locate the source of hidden moisture and plan a mold removal and remediation process.
SERVPRO is here to help local Long Island communities with ALL TYPES of water damages, our team responds quickly with emergency response cleanup and mitigation to minimize secondary damages to your property, including structural damages and mold growth. Neglecting to properly cleanup and remediate a water damage can lead to even greater property damage concerns. Often, when cleaning up a water damage issue or flood, mopping up a puddle or fixing a clogged sink can seem like the end to your trouble, but there can be hidden damage. During warm spring and summer months keeping an ideal relative humidity can be difficult, especially if your property is hiding a moisture source. If you are having trouble with high humidity in your residence or commercial building “hidden moisture” could be a cause. Our crews are trained and experienced in looking for unseen water damage concerns, using advanced technology our team can locate hidden moisture and other property damage you may have missed.
Our SERVPRO of Medford crews use many tools and techniques to successfully and thoroughly locate and address Suffolk County high humidity and other hidden water damage concerns. Calling a local SERVPRO restoration professional can help investigate the source behind high humidity or hidden water damage concerns and inspect for any sign of visible mold or other secondary property damages.
SERVPRO USES SPECIAL DETECTION EQUIPMENT TO FIND HIDDEN WATER DAMAGE
- Moisture Sensors - Are used to detect moisture in carpets and carpet paddling.
- Moisture Meters - Are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable our SERVPRO Technician to monitor the drying process.
- Thermo-hygrometers - Measure both temperature and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, our SERVPRO Technician using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point and vapor pressure.
- Infrared Cameras - Can identify the location and extent of moisture in walls very effectively.
- Manometers - Allow our SERVPRO Technician to measure the difference in air pressure when creating a negative air pressure environment.
Is Hidden Moisture Causing High Humidity Concerns for Your Home or Business?
Hidden moisture or water leaks are dangerous because they can cause serious issues like structural damage and mold growth before they are discovered. Excess water and moisture get absorbed in wood, drywall, insulation, and furniture and can lead to warping, stains, bubbling, and structural deterioration.
One possible concern with hidden moisture problems or sustained water damage is an increase in the overall humidity of your property. The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. You may be able to detect high humidity by simply paying attention to potential problem areas in your home, damp basements, high traffic areas, bathrooms, laundry rooms and kitchens with high humidity activities and poor circulation. Telltale signs of excessive humidity include condensation on windows, pipes, and walls. Over time hidden moisture can contribute to high indoor humidity levels and during ideal conditions can cause mold growth and other property concerns to emerge. The possible causes of water damage lurking in your home can originate from many different sources, with varying intensities, contamination levels, and scope of damage. Some of our largest property restoration projects start as small water leaks that cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time.
The key to mold prevention is simple: moisture control and enough airflow. If you suspect your home is suffering from excessive high humidity, get in touch with our SERVPRO staff right away. Our Mold Remediation team can inspect your property for mold and water damage, locate the source of hidden moisture and plan a mold removal and remediation process to get your home healthy and safe, “Like it never even happened.”
Signs of mold in your Long Island home are unpleasant odor, health effects or visual signs of mold growth.
Ask About SERVPRO’s Visible Mold Inspection
Our certified specialist will begin a mold inspection with a few questions for the property owner or manager, to give insight into previous leaks or flood damage and other valuable information to help during the process. They will thoroughly inspect the property looking for signs of damage and in places prone for mold growth. Moisture meters and cameras may be necessary to locate problems in areas that are hidden or less accessible.
If our SERVPRO technicians do discover mold during the inspection and mitigation process, they will evaluate the mold growth and contain any damage to the smallest area possible. They will then physically remove the mold and thoroughly dry any contaminated areas to ensure that the mold does not return. Finally, the technicians will follow established procedures to return the property to a preloss condition. To inhibit the return of mold, SERVPRO uses antifungal and antibacterial cleaners to clean both your home structure and possessions affected by mold. During the remediation process, we can utilize HEPA filtration systems with negative air chambers to stop the spread of spores and contain the mold. Our technicians always attempt to restore rather than have you replace building materials and possessions affected by mold.
When your home or business experiences a water disaster issue, or you suspect that high humidity maybe a problem, call our trusted local SERVPRO property restoration service specialists. Our sophisticated tools can make it easy to determine the presence of hidden moisture and dampness in your Suffolk County property, waiting too long to choose a professional cleanup and recovery service can be a costly and hazardous mistake. Our SERVPRO specialists closely monitor and document all our cleanup, mitigation and remediation steps and make sure your moisture problem is taken care of correctly.
Cold temperatures are making an impact on many Long Island property owners, SERVPRO has property damage mitigation and restoration services to help
SERVPRO comes ready with all the necessary equipment to get your winter property damage recovery done quickly because we want to prevent more damage.
Severe winter weather property damage including pipe bursts and frozen water leaks: a winter water damage emergency
Frigid winter temperatures are common here in the Northeast, over the next several weeks Long Island and the surrounding areas will likely have variable freezing temperatures. Frozen water damage events and pipe breaks are one of the most common causes of property damage in our area. These lower temperatures cause a new set of seasonal Long Island property disasters including frozen pipes, ice dams and other frozen water damage concerns that can cost property owners thousands. Every winter our SERVPRO of Medford professionals help countless home and business owners in Medford, with the restoration, mitigation, cleaning and repair of their residential and commercial property following a frozen water property disaster.
Why is a Frozen Pipe a Concern?
- When water begins to freeze, it expands. This can cause both plastic and metal pipes to burst, possibly leading to significant water damage to your home or business.
- Since water expands when it freezes, it puts unwanted pressure on pipes.
- As water freezes, the force exerted from the expansion can cause a pipe to burst, regardless of the strength of the material.
- You may not know you have a burst pipe as the water has turned to ice. Once the temperature starts to warm and thawing begins, leaking and flooding can occur.
What pipes are of most concern?
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
FROZEN PIPE WATER DAMAGE TREATMENT AND RESTORATION
The key to avoiding costly secondary damage is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property with proper mitigation. Our SERVPRO of Medford teams have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. We begin removing the standing water from your property with extraction methods, and rapidly dry your structure and contents with dehumidifiers that lower the indoor humidity levels, so your building dries out quickly. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of Medford professionals will answer your call with rapid action and a full arsenal of drying equipment.FROZEN PIPE PREVENTIONShort- and Long-term solutions for low temperature plumbing problems include:
- Locate and seal cracks and openings in the walls, attic, basement or crawlspace.
- Weather strip and caulk around crawlspace doors and basement windows.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated. Pay special attention to areas where pipes are located.
- Insulate unprotected pipes and don't leave gaps. Pipe sleeves simplify the process. Keep the pieces tight against each other and seal the slits and joints with duct tape.
- Install storm windows over basement windows or replace the old windows with energy-efficient alternatives.
- Find your main water shutoff so you can turn off the water quickly if needed. Locations vary — look in the crawlspace or basement where the water supply enters the house, inside a water meter box directly outside the house or near the water heater.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to let warm air flow around the supply lines. Move any cleaners or other chemicals out of the reach of children.
- Keep your thermostat at the daytime setting during the night. If you'll be away for several days during subfreezing weather, keep it set above 55° F.
What Do You Do if You Have a Frozen Pipe?
- If you have a leak or flood, turn the water off immediately to prevent further water damage and call a licensed plumber to make repairs.
- Contact SERVPRO of Medford to reverse any primary and secondary water damage.
HOW SERVPRO CAN HELP RESTORE YOUR FLOOD AND WATER DAMAGE FOLLOWING A PIPE BURST.
When winter temperatures drop below freezing, the water flowing freely in pipes throughout your home or business have the potential to freeze. When your pipes burst from freezing water, getting the water out fast is our highest priority. Our SERVPRO of Medford team comes ready with all the necessary equipment to get it done quickly because we want to prevent it from causing further damage to your property. We have years of experience in dealing with Long Island residential and commercial water damage, and we know what it takes to restore your property, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO water extraction, cleanup and restoration makes a huge difference after any Suffolk frozen water damage disaster.
Our team can respond quickly and help you assess your damage and find a restoration solution that you can trust.
SERVPRO professionals excel at the cleanup, restoration and rebuild of after frozen water or winter temperatures damage your Brooklyn residential or commercial.
Winter temperatures can be brutal in the Northeast, whipping winds and extended periods of freezing are incredibly damaging to your property, as frozen water, snow and ice can all lead to significant property damage disasters. On average each year a quarter of a million homeowners will experience the destructive power of frozen water problems including, frozen pipe bursts, ice dams and other leaking water damage occurrences.
DO ICE DAMS ALWAYS CAUSE DAMAGE? When icicles start decorating the eaves, you know conditions are right for ice dams to happen. Ice dams on the roof don’t always cause damage. If weather conditions improve, they eventually melt and allow water to run off the roof. However, an extended cold spell usually increases ice dam size and weight. The additional buildup can cause damaged eaves, gutter problems and leaky roofs.
When snow on the roof melts, the runoff collects around eaves and freezes as it drips to the ground. The initial results are icicles along the roof edge. The process cycles through thawing and freezing and forms solid dams of ice. These areas eventually build up and prevent water from running off the roof.
During a melt cycle, water accumulates behind the ice dam. It backs up and pools under flashing and shingles, and that causes the roof to leak. Ice dams also block gutters from doing their job, and that can result in even more water backups on the roof.
Fast Response to Water Removal Minimizes Damages
Our crews are available 24/7 to aid our local Long Island neighbors with both commercial and residential flooding and water damage emergencies. A quick response and expert action to your water intrusion can significantly reduce the overall damage to your home or business. Our property damage restoration crew will tailor a specific plan using our advanced equipment capacities to quickly overcome any property damage situation. SERVPRO trucks and teams are available to deploy submersible pumps, water extractors, air movers, and dehumidifiers, quickly controlling the spread of water and moisture damages.
A Professional Inspection can determine the many factors that specify the exact process for your property damage recovery: level of water, type of contamination, and amount of exposure all play a vital role in the balance between restore and replace.
Our SERVPRO staff is highly trained and experienced in the cleanup and restoration of your frozen water property damage from frigid Northeast temperatures. Our team can respond quickly and help you assess your damage and find a restoration solution that you can trust.
WINTER WATER PROPERTY DAMAGE
- ICE DAMS
Ice dams occur after a snowfall and several days of freezing temperatures, common weather conditions in the Northeast during winter. Warm air inside your home leaks into the attic and warms the underside of the roof causing snow and ice to melt. The melted water refreezes on the cold overhang and can form icicles and an ice dam on the roof and gutters. This process can cause damage to the roof which can cause water to leak into the home causing water damage to the ceiling, walls, insulation and other areas.
- LEAKING BASEMENTS AND FOUNDATIONS
Basement and ground floor apartment flooding are a common occurrence for many homeowners throughout Long Island, the impact of heavy snow, ice and rain can overflow sewer drains and pavement often leading to water leaks, flooding and other types of lower lever water damage. Ground level flooding can lead to significant structural damage, destroy furnishings and other belongings and commonly lead to elevated mold and humidity issues.
- FROZEN WATER PIPES
When Northeast temperatures drop to at or below freezing, the water flowing in your plumbing has the potential to freeze. Water expands when it freezes, the expansion of the frozen water can cause a rupture, causing catastrophic flood damage. It’s important to note that the break often occurs between the frozen point and the faucet, as the ice blocks the pipe and the water pressure increases leading to stress on the pipe. Pipes that run through the exterior walls are particularly at risk, but those that run through low- or uninsulated attics and crawl spaces can also freeze.
Although these frozen water damage situations are very common, sometimes the damage could have largely been prevented by taking a few preventative steps ahead of time. These are a few tips you can take to try and avoid turning the coming frigid days and nights into inconvenient and expensive property disasters.
HELP PREVENT WINTER WEATHER & FREEZING WATER ISSUES WITH THESE TIPS
- Exposed pipes are the most susceptible to freezing, so insulate pipes in your home's crawl spaces and attic.
- Heat tape or thermostatically controlled heat cables can be used to wrap pipes and prevent ice dams.
- Seal air leaks in your attic, basement and exterior walls, look for air leaks around electrical wiring, vents, and pipes, and use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out.
- To avoid ice dam concerns, add roof and soffit vents to regulate the air temperature close to the underside of the roof.
- Sump pumps and sub-floor drainage systems are typically used to avoid the continued damage associated with basements and other foundation issues.
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Let warm water drip overnight, from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to uninsulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Suffolk County weather can be unpredictable even when winter temperatures aren’t extremely cold; property water damages happen to home and business owners often. When water begins spilling across the floor or filling the basement, it is usually from a failed water heater shut-off valve or a split line on a washing machine. Many factors contribute to the length and cost of your property damage cleanup and restoration project, including the amount and type of water involved, length of time before service and the total area impacted. Our qualified and experienced staff can help answer your disaster restoration questions and provide a step-by-step plan for a full recovery of your flooded commercial or residential property. Our crews explain the process of water extraction, drying and restoration. Our Long Island SERVPRO team has a unique rebuild option with our dedicated construction crew, to seamlessly move from restoration to reconstruction, helping you recover more quickly. Our specialized equipment and highly trained staff have the scope of services to handle your property restoration needs from start to finish. We understand you may not have all the answers, calling our team connects you to professionals that can provide the answers to your restoration concerns and tailor a solution to repair your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO wants to focus on gratitude and customer feedback
We understand the stress that property damages can bring, and we are always here to help support your recovery in whatever helpful way we can.
This Fall, SERVPRO wants to focus on gratitude
Fall in the Northeast is a season full of change, from the changing colors of the trees and the brisk weather. November is a perfect time to appreciate and reflect on both the achievements and misses of this past year. Our team is grateful for each other-our amazing staff, partners and customers that help us support our community with needed property restoration and construction services. Taking the time to appreciate the things you have, both tangible and intangible, makes you feel more positive emotions, improves your health, and can even build stronger relationships. We are grateful for our successes and have renewed enthusiasm as we roll into the Holiday season and the New Year.
November begins a holiday season that celebrates friends and family. SERVPRO is thankful for our team, our work family. Our staff is the backbone of our company, the reason we can provide high-quality and effective restoration services to support our neighbors and friends. Our gratitude for their efforts and ability to persevere during any challenge, shows why our team is the only choice when dealing with a property damage disaster. Our customer service team is helpful and friendly, always making every effort to clarify our process and expedite your recovery. Our management and production staff works hard to mitigate further damages and provide timely and knowledgeable solutions. Our construction team is resourceful and efficient at putting everything back together after any size disaster. SERVPRO of Medford provides services that help others during a time of crisis, property disasters are difficult to overcome. Our team is proud to support each owner, family and community member dealing with property damage with an effective restoration solution.
SERVPRO is here to help your property recover after a disaster
- Cleanup: After a disaster occurs, licensed technicians focus on restoring your residence to a clean and safe condition.
- Restoration: This process can include installing new tile, cleaning your HVAC system, repainting walls, and repairing nearby carpet that may have been affected by the fire.
- Rebuilding: If the structural damage in your home from the fire requires more work to restore, SERVPRO contractors can repair flooring, install new wall joists, hang the drywall and much, much more.
Our team is available 24/7 to offer our comprehensive solutions including emergency mitigation, restoration, and reconstruction for customers affected by property damage. You can depend on our SERVPRO of Medford team to arrive quickly and provide effective property restoration.
We are thankful for our great customers, who are dealing with property disasters and trust our team to turn things around. We understand the stress that property damages can bring, and we are always here to help support your recovery in whatever helpful way we can. The feedback we get from our customers helps us evolve and makes us a better, more supportive, and efficient team.
The SERVPRO team managed the repairs in my home after a water damage. They were very professional, personable, pleasant, diligent, but most of all extremely efficient! Always responded to texts/phone calls within a reasonable amount of time and took the time to explain the answers to my questions. This team was very respectful. The project manager was certainly a pleasure to work and deal with and I would recommend him as manager for any job. Job well done SERVPRO!!!
They did a great job! In addition to being in close communication regarding the time of his arrival, he informed me of all that he was going to do and then explained what he did as we toured the house after he did what he had to. Highly recommend SERVPRO!
If you have a positive experience to share, we would love to hear from you!
Stay Alert! A simple mistake could create a cooking fire holiday disaster!
Minimize damages and displacement with fast mitigation, content management, professional containment, and post-damage construction services.
SERVPRO TIP: Bring a cooking utensil and a timer with you if you NEED to leave the kitchen while cooking.
Holiday cooking and preparations can take a few days, and entertaining guests while making a meal can be distracting. Being in the kitchen that entire time can seem impossible. While it’s never a good idea to leave the kitchen while cooking, sometimes it’s inevitable. If you must, taking a timer and a utensil may help you remember what you were doing before you got distracted. If you are cooking on the stove, frying, grilling, or broiling food, please turn off the heat source and move your food to a safer place before leaving the room. For more amazing tips from our team to help your meal, your family and your property stay safe this holiday season, look below.
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says 6 out of 7 cooking fires occurred while the cook was out of the kitchen, and 2/3rds of these fires happened in the first 15 minutes of cooking. The BEST WAY you can do to keep you and your family and property safe this year, ALWAYS watch what you’re cooking. If you’re using the stovetop, stay in the kitchen and watch closely. Also, experts recommend setting a timer periodically to remind you to check the oven.
Our SERVPRO team wishes every friend, family, and neighbor a joyful, pleasant, safe and disaster free holiday season. We hope the next few weeks are full of hope, love, gifts, and yummy food. We also know the destruction that can come from a simple mistake, and we are always here should any fire, flood or plumbing damage cause a hiccup in your holiday celebrations. For big or small disasters our team is here to support your property restoration and rebuild needs with professional know-how and empathy for any situation.
Get Cleanup, Restoration, and Rebuilding in One Place
SERVPRO of Medford is uniquely qualified to offer property owners the services of mitigation, restoration, and reconstruction. Instead of having one company do the cleanup and another company repair or rebuild fire loss areas in the home, you can use a single company for both needs.
SERVPRO FIRE DAMAGE MITIGATION/RECOVERY SERVICES:
Our Commercial Fire and Water Damage Restoration Process
Our experienced SERVPRO of Medford restoration specialists are trained to clean and restore your Suffolk County property with as little disruption as possible.
- Emergency Contact
- Inspection and Fire & Water Damage Assessment
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof Tarp Service (if needed)
- Water Removal and Drying
- Smoke and Soot Remediation
- Cleaning, Restoration and Repairs
SERVPRO CONSTRUCTION SERVICES:
- Site Containment / Temporary Shoring
- Selective Demolition
- Full-Scale Carpentry
- Complete Exterior/Envelope Reconstruction
- Interior Build-Out and Finishes
- Complex Installation and Interior Finishes
- Historic Reconstruction and Restoration
Fire or water damage to your home is frustrating and needs to be dealt with by trained professionals to ensure further damage does not continue to impact your property down the road. The SERVPRO of Medford team has decades of experience and training to overcome the unique challenges that can come with both residential and commercial property disasters. Our IICRC certified restoration specialists work quickly and efficiently to minimize damages and displacement with fast mitigation, content management, professional containment, and post-damage construction services for a faster recovery.
Cooking Safety Tips
- Keep flammable items such as wooden spoons, potholders, towels, and paper towels clear of the stovetop. Keep flammable items such as paper packaging or plastic bags clear of cooking appliances such as toasters, toaster ovens, deep fryers, or electric skillets.
- Make sure smoke alarms are installed and working correctly before cooking.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small fires. Just slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Then simply leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled off.
- Clean the oven and stovetop regularly to remove any food debris and clean up spills immediately. Avoid loading your stove up with pots and pans, cooking too many meals at once it can increase the risk of grease fires.
- Completely cool small appliances before storing them, allow hot grease or other trash to cool before disposal.
- Keep children and pets away from cooking surfaces. If you have children in the house, consider using the back burners of the stove.
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES SERVPRO IS HERE TO HELP!
Working with our team and fast action could mean the difference between restoring your home or business quickly or needing extensive and expensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO team never stops being READY to handle your fire, water, or storm property disaster, we have the best staff, with the best resources standing ready to answer your call quickly and restore your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”
Don’t lose a minute of valuable shopping time, keep your business operating during unexpected property damage with SERVPRO
Our team has experience helping businesses develop the right property restoration plan to avoid business interruption and mitigate damages.
Our SERVPRO property damage restoration team supports local commercial and retail property owners with fast and friendly recovery service. Our team is here to help provide fire, flood, or water damage recovery, hazardous or infectious disease sanitizing, and mold remediation.
SERVPRO is your answer to staying operational after a big or small property disaster impacts your Long Island commercial property this holiday shopping season. SERVPRO restoration specialists have the experience, training, and equipment to arrive faster to your commercial property disaster. Our full-service team is uniquely equipped to handle all phases of the cleanup, restoration and reconstruction saving your critical time during your recovery when your retail property needs it most. With over 30 years of experience helping local businesses our goal is to work with managers and owners to develop the right recovery plan to minimize cost, avoid business interruption and mitigate property damages.
What Business Disaster Restoration Services Does SERVPRO Provide?
Our SERVPRO Commercial Restoration Professionals can assist with:
- Board-up, Emergency Power and Building Stabilization
- Emergency Mitigation Services including Content Management
- Drying, Dehumidification and Water Extraction
- Electronics Restoration
- Fine Art, Data and Document Recovery
- Reconstruction Services
- Soot, Smoke and Odor Removal
- Rebuild and Construction Solutions
SERVPRO Provides Emergency Mitigation and Restoration Services
There are many phases that are necessary in order to get your business back up and running after a flood, fire or other property disaster, many of these tasks should be performed by a professional disaster restoration company, our SERVPRO team has the answers to your concerns about property damage.
- Mitigation efforts are meant to prevent further damage and loss from occurring due to the existing threat, thus increasing the overall amount of work that needs to be done during the restoration itself.
- Restoration is performed on items that could not be saved by mitigation efforts, and items that were damaged before the restoration company arrived. This step is often a longer process and may involve the complete replacement of floors, roofs, walls, and other portions of your business that have been too damaged to save.
SERVPRO is here to help keep your commercial property operating through the busiest shopping season
The Saturday after Thanksgiving has a new meaning for small businesses across the country, the Small Business Saturday movement to support small, independent businesses and call to attention the value they bring to our local economy and our community. While many of us continue to migrate much of our seasonal shopping online, use this shopping holiday to visit the local coffee shop to recharge, local restaurant for a gift card, or find that unique gift for the impossible gift receiver on your list. Our local downtown area is full of interesting places to support during the holiday season.
ABOUT SHOP SMALL
Shop Small is a nationwide movement to support small, independent businesses and call attention to the valuable and distinct contributions they make to their communities and the economy. Shop Small celebrates small businesses ranging from retail stores and restaurants to fitness studios and salons, and everything in between. This national holiday shopping tradition is dedicated to celebrating small businesses and driving more customers through their doors on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
Small businesses provide character and individuality to our community. It is neighbors helping neighbors - friends helping friends. Businesses help create a community, shaping the character of the locals and directly influence tourism. Running a business of any size is difficult, there are many tasks and services to juggle for both owners and employees alike. Businesses large and small are working extra hard to keep things business as usual, serving customers to the best of their ability. That is why when disaster strikes, it is critical for companies to know where to turn for disaster recovery services. SERVPRO of Medford has a tradition of helping local home and commercial property owners and managers recover from property disasters big and small.
SERVPRO provides emergency response service and effective remediation for furnace puffbacks this fall and winter on Long Island
SERVPRO Emergency Response Service for puffback cleanup and restoration aids with fast smoke and soot removal to avoid additional damages.
Fall is officially here, furnaces across the Northeast are getting turned on for the first time as the colder weather descends. When an oil or gas furnace is operating properly, there is little to no soot generated as the fuel is burned to create the heat you need to warm your home or business. Unfortunately, it only takes one leaky or clogged burner to create a dangerous situation leading to an explosion known as a puff back. SERVPRO of Medford has helped countless home and business owner’s cleanup, remediate and restore smoke and soot property damage caused from an oil or gas furnace puffback or fireplace puffback.
A residential or commercial furnace malfunction causes a puffback, when an oil or gas burner backfires, sending black, sticky soot and debris through the furnace or boiler's exhaust system, and throughout your home or business you’ve experienced a puffback. There are two types of puff backs, one type happens all at once, like a balloon popping, emitting soot, smoke and debris throughout your property. A puffback can also happen more gradually, as if someone was holding the end of a balloon and letting the air seep out slowly. If you have a forced air system, the problem can worsen as your heating ducts can spread the soot into every corner of your home, with the same efficiency that they spread heat. Although there is no guaranteed way to prevent a puffback, annual inspection and maintenance of your oil burner or furnace can greatly reduce your risk.
Once a Puff back occurs soot spreads throughout your home, covering your furniture, drapery, wall, ceilings, and other property and possessions. The soot coverage may range from a light dusting to a more concentrated ash. Soot is black and sticky and brings some major cleaning and deodorizing challenges and concerns. Though it may look like a DIY project, it’s best left to professionals to handle soot removal and cleaning because it has the potential to spread easily and become an even bigger concern. Soot is not only extremely messy and pungent, it may be carcinogenic, and needs to be cleaned and deodorized properly to avoid secondary damages to your property and your family.
Long Island chooses SERVPRO for professional disaster restoration services after a furnace puffback
Our restoration process begins with a thorough inspection of your Long Island home, assessing the damage and determining which equipment and services are necessary. Our Emergency response crews are available right away to begin the most effective techniques for cleaning and restoring your property and possessions, including soot, smoke and stain removal, odor removal and deodorizing. Our restoration professionals are here to help with all the recovery solutions you need to restore your property just like before.
SERVPRO SMOKE, SOOT & ODOR REMOVAL & CLEANING SERVICES
- Immediate placement of HEPA air scrubbers and hydroxyls to begin soot and odor mitigation
- Contact insurance carrier/adjuster to give them the size and scope of the project
- Clean the ash and soot residue that builds up on surfaces, including walls, cabinets and furniture
- Coordinate the cleaning of soft goods, such as clothing, bedding, draperies, furniture, etc.
Quick action is necessary to minimize property damages after a fire or furnace puff back, smoke and soot are easily absorbed by many materials within your property and can have a lasting effect. Smoke and soot can be absorbed by almost all your possessions including, furniture and building materials, especially porous materials and surfaces. Soot’s chemical composition is a major challenge for post puffback repair, secondary damages can start to occur immediately. Puff back cleanup experts will assist you during your puff back event, providing you services and solutions every step of the cleanup and restoration process. Puff back cleaning services can include; odor removal from your structure and contents, structural soot cleanup and smoke damage cleanup, pack-out and claim assistance, contents cleanup and smoke damage mitigation.
After your home suffers a puff back, the spread of soot can cause wide-spread damages throughout your home and can feel especially overwhelming and discouraging. SERVPRO restoration professionals have extensive training and experience to clean and remediate the damages your property is facing.
If your home or business experiences a puffback, you should:
- Notify your insurance agent immediately
- Throw away all exposed food
- Call a repairman to fix the malfunctioning oil furnace
- Call SERVPRO to begin cleaning and deodorizing all affected areas immediately
Our team will perform a complete smoke and soot damage cleanup, loss documentation, oil smoke odor removal, property recovery and disposal of non-recoverable items, and a tailored solution to return your building and contents to preloss condition and reverse the signs of your oil burner property damage event. Calling SERVPRO after a home or business puffback provides an advanced cleanup and restoration solution complete with advanced equipment, expert knowledge and experience that you can trust to restore your home and possessions, “Like it never even happened.”
How to change seasons with your heating and ventilation system
Now that the seasons are changing, it’s almost time to make the switch from cooling to heating your home. By transitioning seasons wisely, you can have your home and HVAC system primed for maximum comfort and efficiency throughout the fall and coming winter. Here are four ways to make the transition go smoothly:
CHECK AIRFLOW AT THE REGISTERS
Closed or obstructed registers can upset pressure balance within the HVAC system and cause a loss of efficiency or even an unexpected equipment shutdown due to overheating. To prevent these issues, make sure that your registers are open and not blocked by furniture, area rugs, long curtains or similar items. SERVPRO has professional air duct cleaning services to keep your HVAC/air duct system working smoothly, scheduling proper cleaning and maintenance can improve your indoor air quality and energy efficiency lowering your operational costs over time.
REPLACE THE AIR FILTER
Transitioning seasons is also the perfect time to check the air filter and replace it if it shows any visible dirt accumulation. Having a fresh filter in place ensures that air can flow freely through the HVAC system, which helps avert the problems caused by restricted airflow.
SCHEDULE HEATING SYSTEM SERVICE
A thorough furnace checkup by a certified technician can verify that key components are working safely and reliably, so your home or business stays comfortable and there’s less risk of exposure to deadly carbon monoxide gas.
Fall brings changing leaves, Halloween, and property damage prevention with seasonal maintenance tips
SERVPRO of Medford is the right choice for all your property damage restoration concerns during fall in the Suffolk County area.
Decorating your Long Island home for fall is fun, but have you prepared your property for seasonal damages?
Your home is your biggest investment, maintaining it is a must. Fall is the ideal season to check for inexpensive maintenance issues, such as areas that need caulking, gutters that need debris removed or vegetation that needs trimming, to prevent future damage. Seasonal inspections and a little preventative maintenance, can help keep your property protected from seasonal elements like rain, snow and cold weather.
Yard cleanup and minor fixes are a staple of any fall property maintenance routine; Raking leaves, weatherproofing doors and windows, carving pumpkins, and preparing your property for storms and trick-or-treaters.
Keep the chill outside
Check around the windows and doors for any gaps in the insulation or caulking, your home can lose a lot of warmth in the winter months if not properly sealed. Remember to change your HVAC system filters and have your unit inspected for debris or mold. At entry ways have a non-skid mat or rug to protect floors and prevent falls. Inspect your roof and siding for gaps or damage from storms, make any necessary repairs.
Maintain the gutter system
Clogged rain gutters are a problem for your property anytime of the year. During winter clogged gutters can cause ice dams, which can lead to a big repair. After the leaves have fallen, make sure to clean your gutters removing any leaves, twigs or other debris to make sure that water can move away from your roof and foundation unobstructed. Make sure to inspect and repair any broken or sagging areas, tighten hangers and brackets as needed to maintain a functional system.
Protect the plumbing
Pipes located in attics, crawl spaces, basements, and near outer walls can be susceptible to freezing in extreme temperatures, avoiding a costly pipe break or other water related disaster. Wrap exposed pipes in your attic, basement, or crawl spaces, with extra insulation around them to prevent them from freezing and causing damage. Don’t forget your water heater, add additional insulation if it’s located in an exposed or cold location.
Prepping the yard
Even with the cold weather conditions, your yard still needs to be maintained. Make sure tree and shrub branches are well away from the house and windows. Icy conditions can cause branches to break and damage your home. Autumn is the time for falling leaves, so make sure to clean out the gutters, to avoid possible ice dams and other costly water damage, and get them off the lawn, clean the flower beds and prepare them for next year with fertilizer.
It is an excellent time to plan ahead for Halloween visitors to your property this year,
HALLOWEEN PROPERTY SAFETY TIPS FOR TRICK-OR-TREATERS
- Ensure that your front yard, walkway and entry way are well-lit so that those unfamiliar with your home can safely navigate. If using a fog machine, be careful that the fog does not make it difficult to see tripping hazards.
- Look for any trip hazards on your property that you can fix or remove: electrical cords and hoses can be wrapped up or moved; holes in your yard are roped off or filled in; CAUTION TAPE IS A TIMELY ADDITION and helps to warn of any safety hazards that can't be fixed in time for Halloween.
- Use battery-powered votive candles or flashlights in your jack-o-lanterns, rather than real candles, to avoid a potential fire hazard.
- Make sure all railings, porches, and physical structures of your home are secure and in good condition before visitors access those areas.
This Halloween, may your treats be many and your tricks be few, our team hopes you have a safe and happy Halloween!
WHEN DISASTER STRIKES SERVPRO IS HERE TO HELP!
When planning and setting up your Halloween decorations, it is a good idea to consider any potential risks involved. Taking steps to prepare your property and to protect any visitors can help spare you from a truly frightening night. SERVPRO of Medford is the right choice for all your property damage restoration concerns in the Suffolk County area, we have decades of hands-on cleanup, restoration and repair experience and our dedication to helping local homes and businesses disrupted by disasters is second to none. We have worked hard over the years building a reliable team of IICRC certified technicians and an arsenal of high-tech commercial grade equipment ready to assist with water, fire, mold, or storm disaster restoration services.
An initial inspection is critical for SERVPRO professionals to effectively resolve unique water damage concerns in each property disaster restoration
Water damage is one of the most common and most serious emergencies your property can ever experience. Whether you’re facing a storm, flood, weakened roof, HVAC leak, busted pipes, overflowing appliances or sewage backup, a water problem is distressing and threatening to your property’s safety and value. Finding the cause of water damage and addressing the issue is half the battle, the other half is mitigating the damages. The extent of water damage can be misleading when looking at the outside surface but often water seeps into the deeper materials of your home. Due to the unique nature of water, the damage cost can range from high to low. Here’s a look into factors that will affect the price of water damage mitigation.
What to Expect During Property Restoration Services
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your property damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Emergency Contact: After a property disaster or emergency at your Long Island home or business, your call to us will connect you to one of our trained SERVPRO restoration professionals to take some basic information to provide to our project managers and technicians.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name, address and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
Inspection and Damage Assessment including Estimate: One of our trained professionals will come and assess your property damage. What type of water loss was it? How much of the property is affected? These answers are critical to addressing the unique solution for your restoration needs.
These key factors can determine the amount of mitigation, restoration and rebuild needed to recover your property following a disaster:
- The type of water affecting the property. Clean water from a burst plumbing pipe poses less risk than “black water” from the sewer or debris-laden floodwaters. The type of water that has damaged your property makes a big difference in what it will take to appropriately treat the damage.
- The types of materials involved. Porous materials will swell, warp, and disintegrate when it’s wet. The makeup of damaged structures and property strongly affect the approach and costs for cleanup and restoration.
- How deeply the structure is affected. In the example above, the stone tile of a floor may not be damaged, but water may still have damaged the subfloor. Water can cause many “hidden” losses, and a professional will carefully identify and evaluate the potential for deeper, unseen damages.
- How long the property has been wet. Mitigation efforts are most effective when they happen immediately after the damage happens. If a property has been standing in water for a long time or wasn’t appropriately treated when the water was removed, the damage may have worsened significantly. The growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria also becomes an increasingly major concern the longer a property stays wet.
Property Emergencies happen every day and acting fast after property damage could mean the difference between restoring your home quickly to preloss condition or needing extensive and expensive reconstruction. Our SERVPRO team never stops being READY to handle your Long Island, Suffolk County fire, water or mold property disaster, we have the best staff, with the best resources standing ready to answer your call quickly and restore your home or business, “Like it never even happened.”
August is Back to School Safety Month - SERVPRO is here with some tips to help your family and community
SERVPRO is here to help... Back to School Safety is an important part to keeping our children and our community safe during back-to-school chaos.
Back to School Safety Tips
The Beginning of school needs some extra attention from everyone.
Back to school has been challenging lately, it’s a difficult transition during the best of times. Adding some extra attention to your preparations and routines this year can help ease the transition for families, and communities alike. SERVPRO is proud to support our local community during property crisis situations, we encourage every family and neighbor to take extra caution traveling during school days and practice school safety with your family and friends.
Pay Extra Attention to your family and your morning driving routine while school starts and throughout the year.
According to research by the National Safety Council, most of the children who lose their lives in bus-related incidents are 4 to 7 years old, and they’re walking. They are hit by the bus, or by a motorist illegally passing a stopped bus.
Prepare your family and students for the start of school
Transitioning back to school can bring mixed emotions, even children familiar with the changes that come with a school routine can need some extra attention during the first days and weeks of school.
- Practice, practice, practice! Learning how to get ready each morning for the trip to school takes time and practice. It’s helpful to practice this before the actual first day. Pretend it’s a school day, and go through the steps of getting up, dressed, fed, and out the door.
- Try to make after-school time a bit special, with a snack and time for the two of you to chat. Talk to your child about his feelings about school, friends, teachers, and new activities.
- Make a portable family album. You can’t stay with your child all year, but your photos can! The process of making a photo album together is a bonding and comforting project. Use a small, soft plastic album (available at most dollar stores) that can be easily washed, carried, and kissed!
- Give your child lots of love and support, whatever you are feeling show that you are excited and enthusiastic about your child starting school. This sends your child the positive message that school is exciting and that they’ll cope and have fun. Be patient if your child wants to blurt out every little detail about school or clams up completely. You could try saying something like, ‘Tell me one good thing about your day’, rather than asking lots of questions.
- Choose a lunch box that has an easy-to-open lid. Your child can practice using the lunch box during a picnic lunch at home or in the park. Ask your child what kind of snack she wants to bring. Shop together for the ingredients and engage her in the making and packing of the snack.
Sharing the Road with Young Pedestrians & School Buses
Traffic safety is also key to keeping children safe.
- Take extra precaution traveling through neighborhoods look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and in all residential areas.
- Slow down and drive extra cautiously. In a school zone when flashers are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Don’t block the crosswalk when stopped at a red light or waiting to make a turn, forcing pedestrians to go around you; this could put them in the path of moving traffic.
- When school bus lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop. Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you’re on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children.
- Be alert; children often are unpredictable, and they tend to ignore hazards and take risks. The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to al-low them space to safely enter and exit the bus.
Back to School Safety is an important component to keeping our children and our community safe during the chaos back-to-school routines can bring. SERVPRO and our team know that observing safety precautions and community support make a big difference in avoiding an emergency. These tips can help your family and neighborhood transition to a successful and safe start to a New School Year!